What if God had an ipod?

I've always been a lover of music, all genres. During this class I've developed a heightened awareness of the Bible's effects on the music industry, from lyrics to image. So, I have decided to develop a mini-playlist of songs that reference God and the Bible ... this does not 100% represent my personal music taste but moreover a summary of what I could compile through internet searches of "Biblical allusions in present day lyrics."

1. Jay-Z: Empire State of Mind
-"If Jesus payin' Lebron, I'm paying Dwayne Wade."
-"Don't bite the apple, Eve, caught up in the crowd."
-"Hail Mary to the city, you're a virgin./And Jesus can't save you, life starts when the church ends."

2. Bob Marley: Exodus
-"Exodus, movement of jah-people."
-"
So we gonna walk all right! through de roads of creation/ We the generation/ Trod through great tribulation."
-"
We know where we're from./ We're leaving Babylon,We're going to our Father land."

3. Nina Simone: Sinner Man
-"So I run to the Lord./ Please hide me Lord."
-"But the Lord said go to the devil."
-"He said child where were you/ when you oughta been prayin."
-"Sinnerman you oughten been prayin"
-"Don't you know I need you lord"

4. Dave Matthews Band: The Maker
-"I'm a stranger in the eyes of the Maker"
-"In the distance I saw a light/ John Baptiste/ walking to me with the Maker."

5. Johnny Cash: When the Man Comes Around
-"Till Armageddon no shalom, no shalom."
-"
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts/ And I looked and behold, a pale horse/And his name that sat on him was Death/And Hell followed with him."

6. System of a Down: Chop Suey
-"I cry when angels deserve to die."
-"Father Father Father/ Father into your hands, I commend my spirit/Father into your hands/ Why have you forsaken me?"

7. Beatles: Eleanor Rigby
-"Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been."
-"Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear/No one comes near./ Look at him working, darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there."
-"Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name/ Nobody came/
Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave/No one was saved



1 comment:

  1. Interesting article about pale horse:

    http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/palehorse.html

    ReplyDelete