Fiddler on the Roof

Today we talked about how fantastic it is to be an English major. The conversation was brought about by Dr. Sexson referring to our class as a book club. To be encouraged to sit around all day reading and learning! What could be better than that!

The conversation turned to the famous play Fiddler on the Roof in which the central male character states that if he were rich, he would discuss the holy books with the learned men for seven hours! Well sir, consider this your official invite to join our book club (RSVP at the comment section of this blog. Thank you.)

IF I WERE A RICH MAN




If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack
To sit in the synagogue and pray,
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall,
And I'd discuss the learned books with the holy men
Seven hours every day--
That would be the sweetest thing of all...
Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment